Saturday, June 27, 2009

Socratic Dilemma Dialogue



(A script writer sits alone in his home working on his next project his wife enters after a few moments)


Andrew Kauf: Why, can’t I just write what I want?
Morgan Kauf: Hun, what’s the matter?
Andrew: I’m having difficulties with my next script. I’ve never felt like I can write what I want, but this idea I have is good, really good! I know it, but no one would ever buy it.
Morgan: How do you know that?
Andrew: I’ve been in the business for 15 years, I know what they want.
Morgan: What exactly is it they want, and why does it make you so angry?
Andrew: What they want is the same trash I always write. They wish me to write about the bum next door, the wretch, the whore, the man without purpose. They only want me to write about man’s depravity.
Morgan: What is wrong with exploring such things? Don’t people need to see what is wrong with men? Isn’t it the best way for them to learn, to understand, to appreciate?
Andrew: Maybe for other writers, if that is what they wish, maybe someone even is helped by it; although I doubt it. I just don’t know if I can write about another bum. How will people remember me?
Morgan: You are correct in your assumption there, they will remember you from the one thing you have been able to do. But, my question to you my dear is why you are worried about how people will remember you?
Andrew: Isn’t that what the value of life is? How else should I live my life?
Morgan: What is life, Andrew?
Andrew: What kind of question is that? I am life.
Morgan: Just a thought experiment Andrew… Let me ask you, if you are life, does that mean I am not life?
Andrew: Well of course you are life as well. But, I am alive so I am life.
Morgan: You are running circles around me in this experiment, it seems. Let me try again. Is a plant alive? Is a bird? A rock? What is life?
Andrew: Ok, well these questions seem a little weird, but I’ll humor you. Of course plants are alive, birds, but not rocks! Life is all that which is alive.
Morgan: If life is that which is alive, are cells and atoms alive? What about the rocks? They are made up of matter, which could seem alive, could they not?
Andrew: Well yes, but I think this is self evident darling.
Morgan: If it is self-evident then it shouldn’t be hard to explain, correct? So, my questioning returns to what is life? You see honey, if we can determine what is life, we perhaps can determine the purpose of life, and if you are leading the correct purpose.
Andrew: Alright fair enough, I’ll play along. Life consists of all living creatures, plants and animals alike, which are able to be a part of this existence past, present and future. Life could probably be best described by things which can procreate, for it is the continuation of a life which is necessary for life.
Morgan: Wow, that is really good Andrew. So, if we say life consists of all living creatures, plants and animals alike, and that life is determined by the ability to procreate, then we can determine that all living creatures have many things in common, correct?
Andrew: That is correct.
Morgan: Great, now we’re getting somewhere. What then determines human life, how are we different then a muskrat?
Andrew: Ok, I know this one. We are different because we have languages, arts, mathematics, philosophy and more.
Morgan: This is true, but what is it that allows human beings to have developed a Socrates and a Victor Hugo?
Andrew: Their mind.
Morgan: That makes the most sense. They have a conscious mind and are able to use it more aptly then do animals.
Andrew: correct.
Morgan: Then what exactly is it that we have that is so different? I think we should specify this difference.
Andrew: Our ability to reason?
Morgan: precisely, but again what exactly does our ability to reason allow us to do?
Andrew: Understand the world we live in?
Morgan: I think you’re right there; I would go farther in that it allows us to form concepts, and more importantly broad abstractions, such as life.
Andrew: How can this help me determine how to best live life?
Morgan: That is a spectacular question! Now that we better understand what life is, we need to begin to question the purpose of life.
Andrew: Good.
Morgan: if life is being alive, and procreating, can we not say that being alive requires a certain flourishing of life?
Andrew: You mean it isn’t enough to survive, but we must also attempt to live the best and most prosperous life possible?
Morgan: Correct. Think of a tree and its roots. A tree has certain goals based upon its nature. As the good Hursthouse writes in On Virtue of Ethics that “a living things nature will dictate what is good for it by pointing us to its needs, [and] what living things do is live, and a good living thing is one that lives well. For humans, certain traits are virtuous because of facts about human needs, interests and desires, just as certain traits make for a good elephant because of facts about elephants needs, interests, and desires.” So the good and the purpose should be determined by what is good for the organism. So we should therefore strive for an enjoyable life and a morally upright life, as this is part of our nature. For what is good for us is to be morally upright. Also, it is good to enjoy the life we have, for these pertain to our goals of flourishing; for I dare say that humans seek to enhance their lives.
Andrew: In other words I should live the life best suited to my goals?
Morgan: Precisely.
Andrew: Then, I should write this screenplay if my goals in life are simply to attain money?
Morgan: Precisely, but I know you won’t because I didn’t fall for a person who stands for nothing.
Andrew: I guess you’re right. It’s not easy standing by what you believe I guess.
Morgan: Nor is it supposed to be.

No comments: